Akon to record official anthem for 2010 FIFA World Cup

Wednesday, June 3, 2009


Akon                                                                                              Pic: PA Photos

Akon has been asked to record the official song for the 2010 football World Cup, which is set to be held in South Africa next June.

The Senegalese singer has been asked by FIFA to be a musical director for the tournament, and to also appear at the opening ceremony, reports Allheadlinenews.com.

"I've been hired as musical director for the World Cup," he said. "I will be overseeing the World Cup anthem and music at the ceremonies and I'm off to South Africa this week for meetings. I love soccer, so it's a great honour."

Despite being friends with England international David Beckham, Akon says he's not planning to invite any footballers to sing on the song. "I know David, he's my man," he explained. "But I'm not asking for his advice. Footballers should stick to football."

Akon says he'll be supporting the host nation during the games.

Earlier this month (May 2), it was reported that comic James Corden is set to cover New Order's 'World In Motion' as the official England song for the 2010 World Cup.


0 comments: