Luxurious Old School Boardgames

Monday, May 25, 2009



In our technology driven lifestyle, I can't remember last I sat still and played a boardgame that had no rings, buzzers, computerized cash register, credit card swiping sounds or batteries to it. When I was a kid I could play a board game for hours on end. I remember when my dad first taught me how to play chess and backgammon and even though I had no idea what I was doing, it was fun just to play with my dad. Or when I got Monopoly and Life and my "too cool for anyone" older brother and sister actually played with me. Or when my friends taught me how to play the card game Spit and we would have fierce competitions during recess. Dominos was the best to play solo because you could build with them or line them all up in a pattern and watch them fall one by one.

Don't get me wrong, I am a strong supporter of video games, so much so that my husband and I have been training our 8 year old daughter for the past 3 years on how to play all the video game systems possible, but nothing beats the old school board games that have created fond memories from your childhood. If I could have the ultimate gaming room with no thought to cost, this chess set by Grahame Fowler ($1,725) would be the first purchase. It's made from 6061 U.S. Aircraft-grade aluminum and has such a sleek and modern design aesthetic that you might as well have this displayed as a piece of art. Take a look below for other memorable board games.

0 comments: